Community volunteers can help create comfortable splints to prevent children from bending their arms and touching their face. These simple arm bands help keep the surgical incision clean and promote healing of a child’s new smile. No-No Arm Bands use tongue depressors to create the splint. Donations of boxes of tongue depressors are needed, and can be sent along with the arm bands. Please ship completed arm bands without inserts.
What you’ll need:
Note: Please use cotton, cotton/blend materials in fun bright colors and prints. Do not use religious, war or gun themed prints. Ship donations of tongue depressors separate from the arm band.
Step by Step Instructions:
1. Print pattern (on 11x17” paper).
2. Cut a 10 inch x 15 inch fabric rectangle according to the pattern.
3. Hem or serge to create a ½ ” finished edge on all sides of the arm band.
4. Fold up 5 inches and pin in place.
5. Across the fold, mark 9, 1” deep pockets to hold tongue depressors.
6. Stitch the length of each pocket.
7. Cut 3, 22” lengths of ribbon or hemming tape.
8. Fold tie in half, and pin to one side of the arm band, equal distance apart.
9. At the center point where pinned to the arm band, stitch ribbon in place.
Your finished No-No Arm Band will soon be helping the healing process of a child receiving a new smile!
Please ship No-No Arm Bands without tongue depressors inserted into the arm band. Operation Smile has a volunteer staff that will pack the arm bands and boxes of tongue depressors so they can be used on an upcoming medical mission.
When you are ready to ship the No-No Arm Bands, please fill out the service project inventory sheet to accurately record your efforts. For your records, handmade No-No Arm Bands are valued at $2.00 per arm band. Remember to collect donations or work with a local business to cover the cost of packaging and shipping the supplies to Operation Smile international headquarters.
Attn: WAREHOUSE/Service Project
3641 Faculty Boulevard
Virginia Beach, VA 23453 USA
Need more information? Contact our Donor Relations Team at email@example.com or call 888-677-6453, Monday - Saturday 8:30 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. EST, Sunday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST for assistance.
Children with cleft conditions are waiting - You can help.